Sunday, August 29, 2010

Here I Go

On August 2nd, I took the National Exam for my Mortuary Science major, and I nailed it.  Associates Degree in Applied Science for Mortuary Science? Yes, that would be for me.  


Thusly, I am a college graduate and this is the first Fall of my life that I will not be going to school.  Literally.  My mom was a working mom.  Translation: I was in preschool faster than you can say "maturnity leave".  And yes, preschool is school.  You learn to share and color and peek at the boys in the community bathroom (I wonder if All About Kids has managed to get bathroom stalls yet...?).


I may not be going to school, but I am in the school mind-frame.  I've been craving some new notebooks, used textbooks, bookishly sexy professors, as well as some good old-fashioned test anxiety.  I think I am in graduation denial.


To cure this feeling of needing to be bombarded with extreme work loads and even more extreme self-esteem crushings, I have decided to take on some more hobbies.


I stopped taking belly dancing last year to spend more time on my boyfriend school and give some other things (like rock climbing) a go.  Buuuut it's about time that I got back into that.  It's the only activity that causes the inexplicable phenomenon of making me feel graceful...and it also makes me feel very feminine and sexy, which I love.  I have previously been in three belly dancing performances.  I think I will make that number rise.


I have also decided that I want to learn to play the piano.  I have never learned to play an instrument in my life (unless you count the clarinet...I managed to play that in 7th grade long enough for a Christmas concert before dropping out for Art instead).  I think I want to play at an open-mic night.  True, I can't sing.  But I don't care.  I want to write a song, play it on the piano, and perform it badly for a room full of strangers.  Move over, Regina Spektor...or I will make you move.


I also want to learn sign language.


...and to sew.


Maybe I will take a painting class.


Or perhaps I should put my resume together so that I can get a grown-up job.


Decisions decisions....


This has been the hardest year of my life so far.  School.  My relationship with the love of my life crashed and burned.  I cold-turkeyed my way off all medications.


I need a fresh start.  Here I go.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment