After the gym, when I was driving home, I saw a huge grasshopper walking across the street, so of course I had to stop and go get it to make sure it didn't broil in the sun. But something worse happened. A car came. It jumped out of the way. Another car came....and squished it. It was awful. I picked it up and put it in the grass in my backyard. It was terrible.
When I made it home, I got ready for work and still had a half hour to kill, so I asked my dad if he wanted to go and see my favorite store, Violet Hill, with me because a lot of the stuff in there is locally made and he likes things like that. So we went and looked around. He bought me this hat:
I love it! It's so cute and comfy and it will be excellent in cool weather, too. Then because I didn't have any more time, he drove me to work and dropped me off.
After work I came home and found an envelope on my pillow with a card inside. I opened it:
Dear Maggie,
I really enjoyed hanging out with you today. It made me realize how foolish and selfish I have been in regards to you.
You really have always been the best daughter anyone could hope for. I have always felt a great deal of pride for you, and am very proud of your recent accomplishments. Some of my most fond memories have been our outdoor trips, and our trip to Toronto. I am profoundly sad that you have grown up so fast. I have always been in awe of your inner and outer beauty, your wit, talents, and bright mind. It has always hurt me when your friends and peers have let you down over the years. You may have the most tender heart of anyone I know. Who else would try to save a grasshopper out in the road?
One of the most distressing things in my life has been your courageous and tough challenge with clinical depression. So much so that I have always been unable to face that reality. For that, I apologize.
You are an extraordinary girl and so it will be difficult for you to find someone who is worthy of your heart. You're the best. Don't ever sell yourself short and don't settle for less than you deserve.
I often fantasize about being able to provide you and your sister with houses, cars, and your hearts desire, and I would if I could...alas here is a small gift for you. Please spend it on yourself. And don't ever not do art because you can't afford it. Come to me, I support the arts! I love you Dez.
Dad
I promptly bawled my eyes out. You think someone doesn't care for so long, and then just like that, an envelope is on your pillow. I felt like I was in a movie. I gave him a big hug today and whispered, "thanks, dad" and almost bawled again. He just kind of shrugged, like it was no big deal. But it was a big deal and I know that it was hard for him to write that.
I had an amazing day today! I can't wait to write about it tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment